Thursday, January 17, 2013

Enjoy the Ride




Picture in your mind- your... perfect... dream... car.  

It could be... 
an exquisite classic, 
a sleek sportster, 
or the newest luxury custom.  


Imagine your dream vehicle fresh out of production, 
brand new without a scratch or defect.  
I'm giving that to you (in your mind). 

***
Now consider, you don't already have a car or even any cash.  So to alleviate the worries of having this car, I also tell you I will give you the money to pay the annual registration, inspection, other taxes, monthly insurance (with no deductible) , and even give you an allowance for gas.  I also have set-up a contract with the best mechanic for regular maintenance. There is even a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty that covers all parts & labor.

What's the catch?

Well first, let me ask you, when you got the car and pictured yourself behind the wheel - how fast were you going?  Was your seat belt on?  When I described all I would do and give, were you thankful or increasingly dubious?  Do you trust me?    

What if I told you I expect you to follow all the traffic laws?  I also don't think it's too much to ask that you treat others on your road with a certain courtesy and respect regardless of their treatment of you.  Would you also mind, maybe now and again dropping by to visit between adventures, I miss you ya know - you're never around since I got you that car.  If anybody asks or you feel like telling, let them know I gave you that - you can even give them my number, I like giving away imaginary dream cars. Would you still take that dream car?

Imagine after a few years, you've racked up so many speeding tickets that the insurance got cancelled, but you never told me.  You didn't take the time to get the oil changed so the engine knocks and the warranty won't cover that, plus you were mean to my mechanic friend so he won't bother to help you even though he would do it for free if I asked and you apologized.  You see I gave him an imaginary dream car too. 

Then you get in a road rage argument and decide to trade a little paint with another friend of mine that I gave a nice imaginary dream car to too.  Your engine blows as you rev it full bore and you slam into the median causing a wreck of 50 more cars along the way (all my friends and gifts from me, I might add).  The wreck severely injuring about 100 people including yourself.  For our little mental experiment, we'll be nice and say you didn't kill anybody, but just think if you did- how would feel?

You've also been spending the money I send you for registration, taxes, inspection, and insurance on booze to get liqoured up and drive around like this.  You of course make a run for it, but you're hurt, so the police get you in a dramatic foot chase televised on all the news channels.  Your vehicle, or what's left of it gets impounded and sent to the junk yard.  Since this is your third offense and there are so many other crimes involved, the judge sentences you to life in prison - noting he wishes you were in a state that allowed the death penalty for being such a complete idiot.  He's actually a friend of mine, he picked a 1955 Red / White Ford Fairlaine Sunliner as his car, he takes pretty good care of his and follows most all the rules - in his hard thinking that's why you should too.

Just as they are carrying you away to the punishment you deserve.  I stroll in, talk quietly to the judge for just a second and then he tells them to let you go.  I come over and hug you, telling you that I'm just glad you're ok.  I hand you the key to your car and tell you it's been fully repaired - just like new.  I hand you an envelope.  I explain that in it is your title and information on a financial trust that makes sure everything gets paid exactly like it should- plus there's a gas card in there that will always get paid no matter how much you use it (but just for gas, please).  I ask if you'll just drop by and see me between adventures and tell everybody what's been done for you. Maybe if you don't mind would you give a few of my imaginary dream cars away - I just gave you power of attorney over my assets to do that.  The last thing I ask you is to do your best to follow the traffic laws and treat others with kindness and respect.  Then they take me away to serve your sentence - justice must be met.  Enjoy the ride.

Would you throw the keys down and try to serve the sentence yourself (even though you can't) or go sell the car and walk everywhere you went denying there ever was a guy who gave out imaginary cars?
***
God gives us life and all that we need to live.  We choose to live apart from Him in ways that harm ourselves and others.  Christ takes the judgement due us and offers us a new, eternal, life.  We can embrace that redemption or throw it all down and walk into judgement.  

The last part, that's real... we've lived a life chargeable with offenses, the verdict is guilty, the Judge is perfect, the sentence is the death penalty- justice will be met. Either by Christ already given and served or by you if you'd prefer. 

Will you accept the keys to life from the nail scarred hands of Jesus Christ who died for you to be free from death?  Don't you believe God is the provider of your life and all that is in it, so much so that you would now live as He asks and caring for others the way He cares for you?  

Please don't throw the keys to life down.  Please don't try to serve the sentence yourself or deny that God gives you life and Christ died for you.
****
I hope you enjoy your refurbished imaginary dream car on the ride toward eternity.  
Let me know how it goes between adventures, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment