Friday, April 17, 2015

The Sacrifice

He entered the sanctuary slowly, cautiously- as if afraid his very presence might cause some violent reaction.  The great space was empty except the many seats, a stage with many instruments and a speakers podium, and before the stage a large darkly stained wooden table carved with the words 'Do this in remembrance of me.'

Slowly, reverently, he walked with his head lowered toward the front carrying a box.  He was speaking aloud lowly as he moved, more crying than words.  Clutching the box, he reached the table and opened it to remove two small white doves.  He placed the birds, whose wings and feet were tied, on the table, and pulled from his coat a knife.

At this point I intervened, 
*Exactly, what are you doing!
I said from the sound booth in the back over the speaker system.

He ducked and looked around quickly dropping the knife to the floor.
"The... The... the required sacrifice..." He managed to gasp out.
*Haven't you heard I require mercy not sacrifice.  
"Yes... yes, I need mercy. So I bring sacrifice.  I must."
*Don't you know this sacrifice for your sins can never fully atone... No sacrifice you make can.
"I have been to many churches making sacrifices in search of forgiveness."
*I know and now here you are.

(Blood appearing on the communion tables of about a dozen local churches was all over the news.)

*You can never sacrifice enough to make yourself forgiven.

He stood for a long time, knife in hand. staring through the windows before him into the sky and slowly began raising the knife high above him pointed downward as if to plunge into himself.

*What do you think you're doing now?
"If there is no hope, I might as well end all of this."
*Don't you know the good news.  
"What... good news?"
*Jesus, the Son, died for you.  On a cross his blood was shed. He came from eternal glory to live the life you can never live and die the death you deserve.  He is your sacrifice already made.  

The knife lowered only slightly as he looked at a rough wooden cross set on the stage before him.

"If he died what hope is there."
*He was raised to eternal life as all who believe in him will be.  His death conquered sin once and for all, his rising to new life conquered death as well.
"I want to believe."
*Then ask.
"God help me to believe in Jesus your Son, help me to understand what this sacrifice means for me, forgive me by his blood." 

The knife dropped out of his hand and he fell to his knees crying.

I walked up front and introduced myself and then we prayed together prayers of joy and tears.

He said, "I just spoke to God,"

stopping to laugh he finished,"not the one that sounds like you."  

Then he said, "Jesus is speaking to me now."

He insisted we release the doves, walking outside we used the knife to cut the bands holding their feet and wings.  They flew into the bright blue sky as we smiled.  My new friend, my new brother in Christ, turned and said, "We are free!"





No comments:

Post a Comment