Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Caught in - the middle


I recall the strength of a young man,
with sharp wits, brilliant and bright,
but brash and bold, ready to fight,
always on the go without a plan.

I hear the voice of an old man,
full of wisdom and insight,
but tired and forgetful, with fright,
steadily going on the best he can.

Old says wait, Young says now,
Young says do, Old says how.
Old considers, Young justs goes, 
Young won't ask, Old already knows.

Young your time is wasted, so poorly spent,
Old your back is wasted, too sorely bent.
Young your hope and joy is strong, 
Old your patience and peace is long.

Old says young wants to move too fast,
Young says old wants to live in the past.
Neither wins this argument in my heart,
and so it rips and tears apart.

Here I am, caught in the middle,
between the young man I was,
and the old man I am becoming.
So this is what middle age is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment