Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's Just a Hat I Wear


My in-law's recently took a well deserved long vacation to and through the Eastern seaboard, the Northeast and even stuck a foot in our neighbor to the North. Of course a Vacation for a close relative means a nice little trinket for everyone else. In anticipation and excitement of their trip, they started asking weeks ahead what everyone might want. I couldn't imagine what little touristie thingamabob I could just not live without, so I never made my request. I jokingly once told them to stop by Harvard and get me a Law degree, as I hear these have some value.



As they were checking in via cell phone from Boston one evening, I jokingly said 'If they cannot get the degree, tell them to at least get me a hat.'

SO, I now have a Harvard ball cap. While I don't even see a Harvard-type ever even wearing a ball cap, it makes me chuckle a little inside to imagine folks identifying me with Harvard in some fashion just because I have on this hat. It sort of reminds of the latest Red Raider fan fun of ridiculing the texas university fans who have never even been to Austin, but had $8 to spare on a burnt orange t-shirt. Fans till the end (of the game last week.)

Now here's the nugget, Pew research has out some recent research data that highlights an issue that has always existed. but is over time becoming more pronounced in America. A disturbing majority of self-identifying 'christians' answer questions about their faith in ways that are non-biblical. In fact, many/most (depending on the study) reject the authority of the Bible completely. In this and other research, there is a clearly identifiable near majority group who, although claiming to be 'christian', have little if any understanding as to what that even means from a Scriptural basis. Most give clear indication that they are basically crafting a spirituality that suits their lifestyle and culture.

Is it just a hat we wear? If we are empty minded, empty hearted, empty living 'followers' who neither believe or follow~aren't we then just wearing a novelty?

No comments:

Post a Comment