Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who made a difference...



Recently while I was thinking about prayer and leadership, the Lord brought to my mind a few specific men whom He had used to make an impact early in my development as a disciple and leader.   These were the leaders of Indiana Avenue Baptist Church in Lubbock Texas like Jon Randles, Russ Murphy and in particular Roy McClung.  I still recall two very specific instances so vividly as if they were today, even though they were nearly 20 years ago.

The FIRST was as Russ, Roy, and I were doing dorm outreach one afternoon.  I had been a Christian about 4 weeks and was so on fire for the Lord that I was completely unhindered by concern for anything except the work of evangelism and discipleship.  Without going into great detail, I think I surprised these fellas a little when my zeal for the Lord and brash personality came out in several encounters with folks we were visiting.  At some point in each conversation, my ONLY concern became that these folks we were talking to knew of salvation and found connection to a discipleship opportunity.  That singularity of focus was to the exclusion of basic relational interaction, simple small talk, or even common courtesy.  Now if you know me, you're saying this is different than now because...  Even those who know me well would have said, 'Hey Mike, a little much, relax..." 

And this is pretty much what Russ said, except in that kind way only Russ Murphy can correct you and make you feel great about it.  He asked why I got so 'fired up' in these encounters.  My only response was that I could think of nothing else but that person's spiritual well-being and that demanded action as my heart led.  His response was astounding to me, "Mike, you're a leader at heart."  

Having recently rejected a life based on my own abilities / accomplishments / leadership, I was a little more than skiddish about the idea of being a 'leader' or 'in-charge' and especially about being held to some positional responsibility or mold.  I said "Oh no, I'm not anything except a disciple of Christ, surely I'm not a leader." Roy patted me on the shoulder standing there in front of Gates Hall at Texas Tech looked me square in the eye and said, "It's ok Mike, a leader is just a disciple who cares so much for others he can't help but point them toward God."  

The SECOND such example of a time I can still recall almost perfectly was the following Sunday.  Roy wandered up to me about 5 minutes before the service and told me the person he had for the prayer that morning was not coming.  He continued, "So, when this part of the program here comes, you'll LEAD the prayer."  I don't know if he meant to place emphasis on that particular word the way he did, if it was conscious, sub-conscious -- a little mischievous or completely innocent.  But I know I got really nervous and started trying to find a way to not be put in any position of 'leadership'... even and especially prayer in front of people - who am I to lead others, especially in prayer?

I tried three approaches.  
<Ok, I'll find you somebody to do that.> -- "Mike I'm asking YOU to do it."  
<Well, if that's the case give me the mic and I'll pray from back in the back> -- "We just have that one mic, so it'll be up there at the front for you."
<But, I'm not sure HOW to pray in front of everyone, what do I say - How should I pray?.>

--- NOW, Roy did that little bit again, hand on shoulder, square look in the eye... "You walk up to the front, take the mic from me at the end of the announcements and pray.  Hold your hands up or put them together...  Cross your thumbs or don't... Fold your hands or not.... Close your eyes or not.  It starts like this, 'Dear God' and it ends with 'Amen'... in the middle there -- talk to God.  You might even say 'bless this offering.'  It's that simple, I know you can handle it - I've heard you pray."  And I did just that.  

In 15 seconds, Roy taught me two really important things.  
1) How to pray... a) Start "Dear God", b) talk to God, c) say amen.
                                   AND 
2) How to lead... a) place people, b) empower/equip people, and c) encourage people.   

Roy took a youth pastorate at a nearby rural church a few months later and we lost touch as we both grew into other places and roles.

So, like I say, these moments had a significant impact on me and came into my mind recently as I reflected on prayer and leadership.  Imagine my amazement when my Facebook feed the very next day popped up with the launch of Roy's new website / ministry www.maximizemyministry.org and his new e-book on discipleship/leadership.  Interestingly enough, it came at a time I needed (and had been praying for) someone to come and speak some good words into my heart and ministry that would help move me forward.  

If you are in a place of service / ministry, you should take a moment and meet my friend Roy through his website www.maximizemyministry.org and read his book 'Finding Your Leadership Style'...  It's FREE, well-written, practical and full of moments where Roy puts his hand on your shoulder, looks you square in the eye and tells you how to be the disciple and the leader the Lord wants you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment